Wednesday, April 16, 2008

Stung!!

On my way to office some insect hit me on my lower neck from front, but rather than going away it fell inside my shirt & when unable to get out started stinging. I realized what happened only after the first sting which triggered acute pain somewhere near my belly. I quickly pulled out my bike, somehow managing to avoid collision & skidding, to take out the insect which was stinging me relentlessly and I was feeling burning sensation and pain all over my belly & chest. Still sitting on my bike I unbuttoned my shirt and looked inside to see that it was a hornet which by then found its way out and flew away. I was relieved that it won't sting again but was also in sever pain. I was very near to my office so I decided to reach office first.

I was in office in a couple of minutes but I had no idea how to stop that pain, even none of my colleagues knew what to do. One of them suggested me to put some ice on it and immediately I was applying ice on the places where I was stinged. I could see 5 prominent patches with some swelling in the middle and it was still very painful. I rushed to a near by physician who asked me to apply some white vinegar using a cotton ball as first aid and gave me some medicines for pain & allergy. Vinegar was a quick relief and after few minutes of taking the medicines, the pain subsided. I applied it twice in the interval of 20-25 minutes after an hour there were no signs of swelling or red patches. I was surprised and happy by the quick recovery and I also know now what to do when a hornet stings :)

Thankfully I wasn't stung by a bee, because bees sting once and leave their stinger in the wound which keeps injecting venom in the skin causing pain & allergic reaction.

These are some general guidelines to follow when someone is stung by a bee / hornet / wasp

1) If it is a bee sting you need to TAKE OUT THE STINGER from the wound as soon as possible. The more you wait the worse the condition will get. So, pinch it out or scrape it off but do it.

2) Apply ice pack for few minutes it gives quite a relief.

3) Apply some vinegar (white) or baking soda mixed with water.

4) If the pain is too much you can take a pain killer or see a doctor.

Enough with the knowledge sharing now I just wish I never get stung again :)


1 comments:

Pappul 4/17/08, 6:08 PM  

quite a day you have had ... hope you get well soon ... and those tips will surely help ... although i pray i never have to use them ... Cheers ... !!

About This Blog

Followers

  © Blogger templates The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP